Friday, January 4, 2008

a Little time

The More Loving One


Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total dark sublime,
Though this might take a little time.



W. H. Auden

Rocky's back with us, and we are glad, even knowing his sojourn will be brief. He'll either get adopted, or his leg will finish getting strong and we'll give him back to SAF. Neither of those will take very long, I'm afraid. And we'll have to give him back once he's healed, because otherwise we're really hurting his chances of getting adopted out of selfishness. The peoples will probably adopt the other dogs unless Rocky is there in the flesh to mesmerize them with his big cow eyes.

And I just wanted to share this amazing and inspiring story I heard on All Things Considered today. Issa's doing it right as far as I'm concerned - and as soon as I figure out how, we're going to have a website with pay-what-you-want capabilities for all the tuneage.

Y'all sleep well in the total dark sublime.

No comments: